Here are a few tips on how to make it less likely that you’ll be a target.
- Check your security settings on your accounts. If “friends of friends” can see your posts or if they’re public, you may want to consider locking them down.
- Change your tag settings. Friends and family may tag you in a post that could share your travel plans and dates, making you vulnerable without meaning to.
- Don’t post about where you live. A photo of the front of your house can tell people who know what to look for more than you care to share.
- Don’t post dates of return. Keep them guessing, let them think you could be home any minute. No, “10 days of freedom!” or “See you in a week!” posts.
- Close your blinds and make sure your cars are empty. Your home or car will be much more of a target if presents or other valuable items are easy to spot. If you have been scoped on social media for a break in, this may help deter them.